Do you need to see a specialist for that rash?

When should you see a doctor about a rash?

Are you developing that skin condition your sister has? Or Is it a spider bite? Only a rash expert can tell you.

All rashes may look alike and seem easy to treat with over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream or oral antihistamines, to the untrained eye. However, it is not always so simple, as per the rash specialists. Rashes can appear as welts, blotches, or blisters; they can be scaly, itchy, red, or dry; and they can occur in one area of skin or all over the body. Furthermore, certain rashes may come and go, while others may never seem to go away.

Most skin rashes are more annoying, itchy, or painful than dangerous. Our skin is our body’s largest organ and can span up to 22 square feet and weigh up to 8 pounds for adults. With so much of it, it’s not unusual for parts of our skin to become irritated or inflamed from time to time. But how can you tell if a skin rash is something you can care for at home if it’s an allergic reaction or something more severe like a shingles rash? A Rash Specialist Doctor homer glen can help you figure it out!

Common Causes of a Rash

There are a lot of reasons that somebody may develop a rash, and there are times when the cause is never identified.

Here are some of the most common rashes which people face in the United States:

  • Contact dermatitis: Contact dermatitis is caused by coming in contact with something that irritates the skin. It might be a harsh product such as a household cleaner, or something you’re allergic to, like latex.
  • Hives: Hives are raised, itchy skin bumps typically associated with an allergic reaction.Atopic dermatitis (eczema): This causes red patches or spots with a rash.
  • Psoriasis: Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease that causes rough, scaly spots or rashes. They can be quite painful or mildly itchy.
  • Heat rash: When you feel hot and sweat a lot, heat rashes tend to occur. They are common among babies in the warm summer months.
  • Intertrigo: This is a skin-to-skin rash, so it is most commonly found in places where skin rubs together, like in the folds of the abdomen or groin.
  • Shingles herpes zoster: People who have had chickenpox have a high chance of getting shingles. For many years, the Chickenpox virus stays inactive in your body and reappears as shingles.
  • Athlete’s foot (Tinea): This condition can occur anywhere on the body, especially where the skin, like the groin, is moist.
  • Ringworm: Ringworm is a contagious condition caused by a fungal infection. It forms a ring-type of rash that moves away from the center.
  • Rosacea: Rosacea is a chronic condition which causes the face to become red.
  • Lupus: A lupus rash is a common symptom of lupus, an autoimmune disease. It appears on the face and is shaped like a butterfly.

Rashes may also appear as a side effect of a medication or if you are allergic to it. These reactions occur most often when you are takings a drug for the first time, but they can also appear after you have been taking it for a while. In case of any rash, consider visiting the rash specialist at Suburban Wellness as soon as possible.

When to Consult a Specialist for a Rash?

Rashes can be a sign of something more severe, so if you are concerned about an outbreak, it is best to consult with Rash Specialist homer glen.

You should also see your physician if the rash:

  • Is on your face
  • Is on your genitals
  • Appears when you start taking a new medication
  • Lasts for more than a few days
  • Seems to be getting worse instead of better
  • Spreads suddenly
  • Accompanies a fever in most cases
  • Changes in appearance (develops blisters for example)
  • Shows symptoms of infection like painful to touch, pus and swelling

If you suspect or know you have been bitten by an insect, particularly a tick, and you develop a rash, you should see your rash specialist at Suburban Wellness as soon as possible to rule out illnesses like Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Lyme disease.

Who to Consult for a Rash?

If symptoms of a severe allergic reaction, follow your rash, you should seek immediate emergency assistance. A rash specialist will assess the outbreak and determine how best to treat you. Your specialist will advise you on how best to manage the rash. You can even book a tele-consultation as per your convenience with the rash specialist through the PatientMD platform. PatientMD also helps you maintain your health record(PHR). If your rash is complicated or if illness causes it, they will guide you on further care.

Rashes are so common unless they interfere with our activities; we may not pay attention to them. Most of the outbreaks go away on their own or with treatment, such as creams or ointments. If you get recurrent rashes, consult your rash specialist about what might be causing them and how to prevent it.