Is your skin rash signaling something serious?

When to seek medical treatment for a rash?

The itchy red bumps came out of nowhere and it is unclear if a doctor needs the mystery rash or if it can be soothed away with over-the-counter salves. Although it may be difficult to identify what causes skin redness or itching, contact dermatitis may be a common allergic reaction to skincare products. As it turns out, many rashes respond well to remedies that are over-the-counter.

As welts, blotches, or blisters, rashes can appear; they can be scaly, itchy, red, or dry; and they can occur in one area of the skin, or throughout the body. In addition, some rashes may come and go, while others may never appear to go away.

More annoying, itchy, or painful than dangerous are most skin rashes. Our skin is the largest organ in our body and can span up to 22 square feet and adults weigh up to 8 pounds. It's not unusual for parts of our skin to become irritated or inflamed from time to time with so much of it. But how can you tell if a skin rash, if it's an allergic reaction or something more serious like a shingles rash, is something you can care for at home? The best physician can help you figure it out!

When to Consult a Specialist for a Rash?

Rashes can be a sign of something more severe, so if you are concerned about an outbreak, it is best to consult with Dr. Anthony Jones.

You should also see your physician if the rash:

  • Is on your face
  • Is on your genitals
  • Appears when you start taking a new medication
  • Lasts for more than a few days
  • Seems to be getting worse instead of better
  • Spreads suddenly
  • Accompanies a fever in most cases
  • Changes in appearance (develops blisters for example)
  • Shows infection symptoms such as pain to touch, pus, and swelling

If you suspect or know you have been bitten by an insect, particularly a tick, and you develop a rash, you should see your physician as soon as possible to rule out certain illnesses like Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

Who to Consult for a Rash?

If your rash is followed by symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, you should seek immediate emergency assistance. Your physician Dr. Anthony Jones will assess the outbreak and determine how best to treat you. Then he will advise you on how best to manage the rash. You can even book a telemedicine appointment at your convenience with Dr. Anthony Jones through the PatientMD platform. If your rash is complicated or if illness causes it, they will guide you on further care.

Final words:

Rashes are so prevalent that we may not pay attention to them unless they interfere with our operations. Most of the outbreaks go away on their own or with treatment, such as creams or ointments. If you get recurrent rashes, consult your physician about what might be causing them and how to prevent them.